Jabber is a softphone application on your computer and/or mobile device that allows you to make, receive, and manage calls, check your voicemail, and use other voice services with your University phone extension.
Please note: Not all features will be enabled within the University of Chicago Jabber service.
Important information regarding emergency calls (911, 9-911) and Jabber >>
What is a Softphone?
A softphone is a software program for making telephone calls over the internet using a general purpose computer rather than dedicated hardware. The softphone can be installed on a desktop, mobile device, or other computer and allows the user to place and receive calls without requiring an actual telephone set.
Here are some of the features available to you when using Jabber:
- Softphone: on and off-campus calling using your computer and/or mobile devices. Make, receive, and forward calls using your UChicago telephone number.
- Directory search: search for colleagues using the University Directory; dial by number or email (University and Medical Center contacts only).
- Multiple extensions: supports up to eight phone extensions (desktop client only).
- Visual voicemail: view and access your voicemail within the Jabber voicemail window (primary extension only).
- Calendar integration: sync your Outlook calendar for a quick view of upcoming appointments.
- Phone replacement: use in conjunction with, or in place of, a desktop phone.
Download and Install Jabber
If you are not part of the initial UChicago Campus or Medical Center rollout, contact your local IT support to request this service. Once Jabber is added to your UChicago phone service, you can download and install the application.
The Jabber application looks and works differently on each platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
I can't see my extension on Jabber. How can I tell what my extension is?
If you are using Jabber with only one extension, the number is not displayed. To view your extension, click Menu (gear icon in the top-right corner), then Help > Show Connection Status.
How do I add labels to the left hand side icons?
To show the labels, click Menu (the gear icon in the top-right corner), then View > Show label.
Do you recommend / support headsets for Jabber calls?
While we do recommend a headset if audio quality is a priority for you, IT Services does not distribute nor support headsets in conjunction with the Jabber service. Any headphones with built-in microphones (including the earbuds commonly available with mobile phones or iPods) will work with Jabber. When calling from a noisy environment (such as a shared office or coffee shop), a headset with a microphone provides an improved audio experience.
- General use: Mpow 071 USB Headset
- Higher quality: Jabra 550
How do I get support?
Need help with Jabber? Contact the IT Services Service Desk.